Monday 26 June 2017

Somebody Throw Me A Lifeline!


This is my first attempt at proper lace knitting.  Although I have made garments with a lace design in the past, I've never knitted with such a fine yarn.  


I saw this pattern for a lace shawl in the January issue of Simply Knitting magazine.  It was called 'Sweet Lilac' and described as a pattern which was suitable for a first attempt at knitting a lace shawl.


I'm not sure that I would describe it as an easy introduction to lace knitting - it is a wonder that I'm still working at it, as it required four attempts to set the pattern and to keep the correct number of stitches. 


I spent a lot of time 'frogging' ('rip it, rip it!') and I learned the importance of life lines.  In theory, these are used to mark a line of pattern which is correct - somewhere to return to without having to start from scratch.  Still, I'm making (slow) progress, so I must be improving.  I'm looking forward to /can't wait to start the more complicated lace design from the charts...

The finished design can be seen here and the yarn used is DROPS Lace - a gorgeous blend of baby alpaca and mulberry silk.


6 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS color, Marie! And you are brave to solider on... Lacing knitting is hard, I think. Not always the patterns so much, as manipulating the fine, fine yarn to do real lace knitting. I'm enjoying lace pattering in 4ply now... I can handle that! LOL... Good luck with this project, and hopefully no more frogging! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy- thie has been hugely challenging and I think that I may be frogging again. I seem to have gone wrong and I'm not sure that I can correct it, as the mistake first appeared below my lifeline! Oh well, rip it! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great shawl colour, but being dark presents a bigger challenge for the eyes. I wish you luck. When I'm working a complicated stitch pattern I sometimes work a practice on light coloured chunky wool, so that I can get my head around how it works with something that's easy to see. It won't look like lace, but it'll give me an idea of what's going on. My biggest challenge is my eyesight: I'm r-e-a-l-l-y short-sighted 🤓.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonny - I've had to admit defeat with this pattern for the time being, but I hope to get back to it later in the year when I can concentrate on working that fine lace. There is just too much going on at home at the moment to focus on this one. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up on it, Marie, just set it aside for a while and come back to it afresh. It's going to be gorgeous. My lace baby shawl is in 3ply and I have had to concentrate hard on relaxing so that my knitting is loose! There has been a lot of frogging but I am learning a new skill so it's worth it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Tiggywinkle - thank you for your supportive comment. I have put this aside for now, but will try to get back to it later in the year. Marie x

    ReplyDelete